Back Pain Relief Treatment
Back Pain and Lower Back Pain
The back is a common area of pain, and every year many people miss out on life due to this condition. The low back is the most vulnerable, and it is estimated that 80 percent of people will have injury and pain in this area sometime in their lives. Low back pain can be a result of a number of things. Physical stresses such as car accidents, repetitive movements or injuries from sports are common causes. Certain conditions such as obesity, inflamed joints, and sprained muscles also contribute to this pain.
Back pain can range from mild to Failed Back Syndrome, and it often prevents you from enjoying everyday activities. Applying ice, soaking in a hot bath, and pain medication may help relieve or decrease the discomfort, but these are only temporary treatments. At Hanson Chiropractic, we do a complete examination to find and then treat the actual cause of the pain. This results in longer-lasting results and allows you to resume your normal activities quickly.
Conditions That Cause Back Pain
There are many different reasons as to why back pain occurs. When you make an appointment with us, we will be able to identify the cause and then recommend the treatment that will have the best results.
- Stress: Stress causes a host of responses in your body. Stress hormones can raise your heart rate as well as your blood pressure, and your muscles become very tense. Over time, chronic stress results in a weak back that becomes sore and vulnerable to physical movements.
- Strains and sprains: These often occur when you push your body too hard when it isn’t used to it. This may be caused by spending too much time gardening or trying a new sport. This overuse can cause the ligaments and muscles to stretch and tear, which shows up as swelling and pain.
- Disc issues: Degeneration of your spine can lead to bulging or herniated discs. These discs can put pressure on the nerves of the back, causing terrible pain that may even spread out to other areas of the body such as down the buttocks or legs. Chiropractic care has been shown to help decrease this pain and stop spine degeneration.
- Subluxation of the vertebrae: A vertebral Subluxation refers to the misalignment of the vertebrae, or bones in the back. These misalignments can interfere with the function of the cord and nerves, which leads to pain and other symptoms. A common Subluxation occurs in the lower back where the sacrum meets the bottom of the spine.
Types and Symptoms of Back Pain
Lower back pain is usually either acute or chronic. Acute pain comes on right away, usually after activity. People who seek treatment, such as a chiropractic adjustment, right away usually notice immediate results and it prevents it from becoming a lasting issue.
Chronic pain is pain that lasts for longer than four weeks and never, or rarely, goes away. Depending on the situation and how long the pain has been present, chiropractic care will be more focused on reducing the pain and improving function in the area. This may include recommending at-home exercises to begin strengthening the area again.
People who have issues with their back may experience a variety of symptoms. These symptoms may range in severity and may change over time. Some common symptoms include:
- Stiffness of the area that reduces range of motion
- Muscle spasms that occur in certain positions
- Cramping of the muscles
- Sensitivity to pressure, temperature and touch
- Pain in the upper, mid or lower back
- Pain that begins after long periods of rest
- Pain that occurs after certain activities or movements
- Buttock pain or pain that travels down the leg
- Pain that continues to worsen and lasts for longer periods of time
How Chiropractic Works for Back Pain
In some cases, back pain can subside on its own. For many others, these symptoms last for a long time and can be debilitating. If you have lived with the pain or have tried other treatments that have not fixed the problem, chiropractic care may be the answer. Dr. Hanson has been practicing chiropractic and treating back pain for almost 20 years, and is passionate about helping people get better naturally. Thanks to his care, people have been able to function better at work, spend more quality time with their families and cut down on medication use. If you are new to chiropractic, you can expect the following from your care in our office:
- Consultation: Before doing anything else, Dr. Hanson will sit down with you and talk more about why you are seeking care. He will review your current symptoms as well as go over your past medical history. This helps give him a better idea of what may have contributed to the problem and if there are other underlying issues.
- Physical exam: In order to know exactly what is going on, Dr. Hanson will perform a complete physical exam that will determine how the muscles and nerves are functioning.
- Digital X-rays: Depending on what was found during the exam, Dr. Hanson may take x-rays of your spine. He uses digital technology that allows him to safely see the structural abnormalities that are contributing to your symptoms and dysfunction.
- Treatment Plan: Based on the history and exam, Dr. Hanson will put together a comprehensive plan that will lay out recommendations for the best results. Because everyone’s situation is different, each plan is customized for what will work for each individual and will often include treatment for both pain relief and long-time healing.
- Adjustments: A big part of your care will be chiropractic adjustments. These help to re-align the spine and reduce pressure on the affected nerves. Adjustments have been found to be very beneficial to help relieve back pain and improve the health of the spine and nervous system.
- Therapeutic and rehabilitative exercises: Part of your treatment will be strengthening your muscles and other soft tissues. Your treatment plan will often include exercises that will help improve your posture and recondition the weak areas of your back. These exercises may be done in our office, such as our PowerPlate™ Technology physical therapy program, or they may be sent home with you.
- Other treatments: Depending on your specific condition, your treatment plan may consist of additional treatments such as laser therapy or spinal decompression. Laser therapy is a pain-free treatment that reduces swelling, spasm, pain and stiffness by increasing circulation to the area. These treatments are quick and help with both acute and chronic issues. Spinal decompression is a great therapy to help relieve lower back pain. It helps to relieve pressure and improve function. Relief is often experienced after minimal sessions, and the benefits are long-lasting.
Dr. Hanson will review your case on a regular basis to make sure your care is on the right track and that you are getting the expected results. Back pain does not have to be debilitating, and we will do our best to get you functioning and out of pain as soon as possible.
Schedule an Appointment Today
Our Patient Reviews
Hanson Chiropractic has done wonders for my lower back. I was referred by a coworker and coming in was a very smart decision. If you listen to the good doctors and follow their instructions they will have back on the right track. It's not a fast process but stick to...